Thursday, August 25, 2016

Presence

Exhausted I fell into bed.  A nap.  A glorious nap.  It had been a long, tiring day.  My body was tired.  My energy spent after another day of attempting to hold myself together after a summer of major life events.  It was taking its toll.  

An interruption.  Someone wanted me to take them somewhere.  No greeting.  No concern for me.  Just that someone needed to go somewhere.  

I was irritated and offended.  Before any words escaped my mouth, a single thought penetrated all the swirling self-centered thoughts.  The way I perceived I was being treated was not any different than the way I treat God.  Except, you know, I treat Him even worse.  

It just struck me, I don't greet Him and welcome Him and sit with Him just enjoying the quiet.  Enjoying His presence.  

No, I tell Him what is going on with my friends and family, peppering needs and problems and desires.  

Oh sure, I read Scripture, His written Word.  But not so I can just hang out with Him.  No, I read it so I can grow and learn and find answers and encouragement for myself and others.  Now, I don't think those are bad habits.  But, I do think that I need just some quiet time, some time of being still in His presence.  

Thanks for chasing my wandering thoughts with me.

Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment